Please let us know about future events and conferences on school architecture and school spaces via the Comments form (at the bottom of this page.) If they match the aims of this site, we’ll gladly add them to the list wherever they are.
Educational Architecture – Education, Heritage, Challenges
6-8 May, 2019. Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon, Portugal
A 3-day conference organized by researchers from the Universities of Lisbon and Coimbra to provide a forum for knowledge-sharing about educational architecture, as well as the practical challenges encountered and the solutions adopted in the planning and design of new and existing child-centred educational environments. Its aims are to understand:
1) where specific individual and collective visions/policies originate from. Do they come from architects, pedagogues, head teachers or politicians?
2) design strategies, trends, values and problems, whose different experiences can inform current challenges.
Abstracts by 30 November, 2018. Registration by 31 January, 2019
1st International Conference of “Scuola Democratica”: Education and Post-Democracy
6-8 June, 2019. Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
This is the first international conference for the leading Italian education journal “Scuola Democratica – Learning for Democracy”. There’s a very broad range of conference tracks that look interesting but we’d draw your attention to two in particular:
School spaces and processes of participation
Transforming Schools between pedagogy and architecture: A democratic laboratory
Abstracts by 28th February 2019.
ISCHE (Conference Theme: Spaces and Places of Education)
16-20 July, 2019. Oporto, Portugal
ISCHE (the International Standing Conference for the History of Education) conference theme next year is Spaces and Places of Education (link to Call) Deadline for all proposals is 31/01/19.
There are 7 Themes:
- Nations, Empires and the geopolitics of knowledge and education
- Circulations and connections: local, (trans)national and global cartographies
- Contrasting spaces: urban/rural; center/periphery; metropole/empire
- Material, textual, imagined and virtual spaces of education
- Educational places: memories, sensory and emotional experiences, interpretations
- Spaces of critique: alternative educations and pedagogies
- The politics of place: authority, citizenship, democracy, gender and empowerment